Thursday, May 19, 2011

I'm back!

I made it! After 30 hours of travel, airplane food, popping ears, swollen feet, a numb rear end, and falling asleep in hilariously awkward positions I have finally arrived to my India-home-sweet-home. It is so good to be back and it feels like I never left! But the past 30+ hours of my life have been a complete whirlwind...I cycled through so many different emotions over the events of the traveling that I began to question my sanity...seriously! 

Everything started out smooth sailing. After saying goodbye to my sweet Mama, Derek and I headed through security where we saw Elder Holland walking on by...Yup, they have to go through security too. We thought it was cool that we saw him and carried on not really thinking anything of it only to arrive at the terminal and see him sitting at our gate. It just so happens that majority of the flight was of missionaries just leaving the MTC, so they were all surrounding him asking for pictures. As we walked up to the gate I offered to take a group picture...naturally I became a camera rack with all sorts of cameras hanging from my appendages as I awkwardly tried to maneuver them all in efforts to not drop or break them. As more people passed through the terminal, his fanfare increased and soon he was calling me his official photographer ...I was happy to help; he was a good sport to put up with so many pictures! Derek and I sat down at the gate and talked with Him and his wife. He asked where we were headed, when we said India we realized we were on the same flights all the way to Delhi! What a relief...we knew we were in good hands! It was a fun surprise, and great way to start out the summer. 

We met up with Kim Lyons in Chicago...The three of us were volunteers in the same session last summer and now we are coordinators together. Kim lives in Boston so we hadn't seen her since we left India last summer..it was a great reunion! Then began the very long flight to Delhi...15 hours to be exact. My legs were not happy campers. To try to avoid any blood clottage I whipped out my oh-so-attractive compression tights...holla. My bum goes numb so fast when sitting, so having to sit for that amount of time I was coming up with some unique ways to sit and/or sleep. We got pretty creative in our seating arrangements too..at one point I was laying on the floor at the base of our seats with my feet on Derek's lap. Every time a flight attendant would walk by I'd hide under the seat. That was the first time I actually slept for more than 5 minutes. The only down fall was it smelled like feet, but it didn't bother me too badly. I guess knowing what I was in for in India I was able to recognize that the smell of stinky feet is like potpourri compared to what my nose was about to behold! 


Everything was smooth up to that point. But once we got off in Delhi, things got weird. We had to re-check our bags and go through customs, which in India = chaos. Lines don't exist and thus organization is poor, so it got a little frantic. My flight to Chennai was on a different plane than Kim and Derek's, but we were scheduled to land within 15 minutes of each other. We set up the plan that I was going to wait for them by the baggage claim and then we would walk out into the sea of craziness to find our driver. Well we should get kudos for having a plan, but like most things in India...nothing went as planned. I made it to my terminal just in time to board the plane & everything was right on schedule. I even said to the guy sitting next to me how impressed I was that we were actually leaving right on time. That's when everything went a rye! After sitting on the runway for almost an hour the captain informed us that due to the heat lightning we would not be able to take off for at least another half hour and if it didn't clear up then our flight would be canceled. I was not in a good place mentally; the plane was hot, I started asking myself why I was even in India and if I could do it,  I didn't want to be there, and hearing that my flight might be canceled just took me to the breaking point. I was too exhausted. All I could think to do was pray. I prayed to feel comfort and for the strength and courage to replace my fears, worries, and selfish concerns with that love I knew I had for India and its beautiful people but couldn't feel at that moment. 

Finally after 2 hours of waiting on the runway, we got the clearance to go ahead and take off. When I landed in Chennai, I was obviously 2 hours delayed so I had no idea if Kim and Derek were there already or if I had to wait for them. I stood by the baggage claim for quite some time but no one was coming...I figured they probably landed before I did and were waiting out with our driver. So I decided to toughen up and brave the sea of Indians in high hopes of finding them. As I did so, I had a pit in my stomach as our driver was no where to be found, nor Kim or Derek. I went back and forth between International and Domestic pickup with my trolley of luggage and covered in sweat feeling so alone and not knowing what to do. I probably sound crazy to someone who has not experienced India, let alone the Chennai airport...but it is out of control, so unorganized, and no one speaks English. I was beside as to what I should do…Then I remembered I had printed out the emergency contact info from my volunteer packet last summer just in case. Praying that the numbers were the same, I turned on my phone not knowing whether it would work or not, and dialed one of the numbers on the sheet. Miraculously my phone worked, miraculously someone answered despite being 1 am, and miraculously it was just who I needed to talk to. Robinson is the new manager here in India and he told me just where to find my driver and that Kim and Derek had missed their flight up in Delhi and would not be arriving until 8 or 9 in the morning. So I went out into the sea of craziness again and couldn't find my driver anywhere. Just when I was going to turn around a little Indian man came out of nowhere saying, "Keem? Keem?"  with a little Rising Star sign in his hand. Ah! I was soooo happy to see him. I breathed a huge sigh of relief as we got into the car and headed home. His name is Shankar . He is a new driver for Rising Star. 

We got to Rising Star around 3:30. Ever since we started on the road home to Rising Star campus, I have felt nothing but peace & happiness. India is a wild place, and Rising Star is always well worth the traveling toll. So while I questioned my sanity in the process of getting here, I am happy to report that everything is in check and back to normal:)


1 comment:

  1. So glad you are safe and sound and in your home away from home. It was so fun to chat with you last night. I hope we get to do more of it. Katelyn was so excited and Jeff told me how Liza waved goodbye and blew kisses. We all love you so much. Thanks for sharing this experience with you. Katelyn and I were talking last night and we decided when her and Liza are teenagers, you'll have to make another India trip and take us all!

    ReplyDelete