Friday, May 20, 2011

Hungry...

It is strange to be here on campus without any kids or volunteers. Campus is so quiet! I am used to coming here and being surrounded by people and the hustle and bustle of Rising Star... so it is strange being the only ones here in the elephant house. But we are having a blast and soaking it all up now, knowing that come next week things will get crazy! We have quite a lot of things to do to get everything ready for the volunteer season to begin. Today we got all of the volunteer rooms cleaned and set up: moved beds around, made  up the beds, swept the floors, wiped down the shelves, etc...We started out the morning planning on setting up the rooms and then doing inventory for the kitchen and the office. But cleaning all of the rooms took us all day. So starting bright and early tomorrow we are cracking down on the kitchen and the office. 

So since it is the break for the kids, our cook is not cooking dinner until next week which means we have to scrounge together what we have hanging around in the elephant house and try to make something filling for dinner. It took us so long to even focus long enough to think what we could make. Derek took initiative and made us scrambled eggs while Kim and I were off in our exhausted lala-land, singing and laughing at everything the other person said. The eggs were yummy, but I am still hungry.

I finally showered. Until about an hour ago I was in the same clothes I left my house in on Tuesday morning and its Friday night..go stinky me! Some things never change, right? I have been pretty non-functional and since I knew we were going to get so dirty and sweaty cleaning today I decided to wait until tonight to shower. That puts the bucket shower count at 1. I am now officially unpacked and moved in...I brought two suitcases to India. A smaller one for clothes and all the other needed items and then a large suitcase for the more important things... food! Woo!



We are having a really good time together. It has been so fun to bond as coordinators as we prepare and plan for what we hope to be the best volunteer summer Rising Star has ever seen!  I am anxious for the other two coordinators, CJ and Kenady, to get here. We have been so obnoxiously slap happy, especially today. It has been hilarious.  If anyone were to be a fly on the wall and see us today, they would probably think we are lunatics...which may not be too far from the truth, haha. My abs are sore from laughing so hard and my jaw is sore from smiling. It is super! I love India...and this is only the beginning!

Much love to you all.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you guys are bonding and having fun. Make sure you eat more than scrammbled eggs each day, not only for health reasons, but to keep mom from going crazy with worry. Love you, Kiddo.

    ReplyDelete