Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Face-to-Face

"There are some parts of the world that, once visited, get into your heart and won't go. For me, India is such a place. When I first visited, I was stunned by the richness of the land, by its lush beautiful and exotic architecture, by its ability to overload the senses with the pure, concentrated, intensity of its colors, smells, tastes, and sounds...I had been seeing the world in black and white and, when brought face-to-face with India, experienced everything re-rendered in brilliant Technicolor." -Keith Bellows (National Geographic Society)

I always make fun of my mom and how easily she cries. But the truth is, I have always admired her for it. The only reason I make fun of it is because I try to hold back the water works myself. For a long time I have tried to stifle what I feel, because I feel emotion so deep down that at times it becomes too much. There is something about this place we all know as India. I am not sure quite what it is, nor do I think you could put a pin on just one thing, but it gets to you. From my experience last year, I thought I had an idea of what this place can do to you, but India, you haven't failed to surprise me yet again. I have felt more in these 3 days than I think I have ever allowed myself to feel. Ever. And it feels wonderful...I feel free. I feel so much joy, and peace, and comfort. Sometimes I have moments where I stop and say to myself, "wait a minute, I am in India." I feel a true sense of belonging, a sense of home. So much that at times, the thought that I am in India doesn't seem foreign at all.


Today I tutored. It was so great to be with them one-on-one, help them, and see them grow. I helped one girl, Jennifer, with science. When I saw her at play time later I asked her the same question I had helped her with earlier and I was so happy to hear her explain from knowledge, rather than memorization, what we worked on. It is really rewarding. Sagamary is my favorite...okay, they all are, but I love her. I tutored her today in Math and I didn't have to do a thing except give her high fives and pinch kisses every time she got it right...which was every single time. These kids are learning so much and this program is making a drastic difference. It is inspiring to see how much improvement has been made since I was last here. Their English is getting better and their confidence and self-esteem is too.

I saw Archina for the first time today! (She is the little girl who I am looking down at in my favorite picture from last summer) I didn't see her and next thing I know I looked down as Archana's beautiful face was looking up at me as she hugged me around my legs. I immediately picked her up and she wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me so tightly. She didn't let me put her down until the bell rang for her to go to class...even then, I had to pry her off of me. She gave me the sweetest kiss of the cheek as I put her down, then looked back at me as she walked to class.

After tutoring, Katie Winder who is here as a dance instructor for the Summer, invited me to come visit and help with one of her dance classes. Seeing the kids faces as they danced made my heart dance for joy. It was a treasure to see them dancing to Michael Jackson's Black or White and feeling confident in who they are. I loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

I had missed most of play time because of the dance class and when I got to the playground I was swarmed by the little ones, "Kimmy Auntie why you late?" "Kimmy Auntie why you no come?"Amirtham, Maryambee, Sagamary, Rosemary, and Resma were all at my feet. My heart about exploded with pure happiness hearing these little voices wanting to tell me everything about their days and wanting to hold my hand or be on my lap. Amirtham grabbed my hand to look at my henna from last night. She looked at me and said, "very beautiful." I responded "You are beautiful, Amirtham." And she looked up and me and said "You are beautiful, Kimmy-Mimmy." and kissed me on the cheek. Amirtham holds my hand wherever we go. I treasure that. Today we put water bottles on our heads and shook our hips and laughed until we about fell over. Doesn't get much better than that, I must say.

I love it here. I am dreading leaving already. I wish I could push slow motion on my India DVD remote. Oh wait, too bad I don't have one of those.

Life is good, time is fleeting, and the small and seemingly ordinary moments are what make life extraordinary. I have been embracing my time here, trying to look face-to-face with each day, each person, each child, each sunset, each moment that slips through my fingers. I'll say it again. India, its good to be back.

High: Tutoring, Archana, Dance Class, Amirtham
Low: My eyes watered while cutting onions

No comments:

Post a Comment