Thursday, July 15, 2010

Joyfully Fatigued

Today I was on construction crew. Dirty, hot, and sweaty were what I wore today as we worked beneath the Indian sun. Construction takes a lot of hard work, determination, and mental power to keep pushing through all the heat, exhaustion, sweat, and fatigue. But when you finish, it is so rewarding! The construction project this summer is building a Community Center in one of the colonies. This colony has put together their micro-loans to fund for this building. The people of the colony wanted to have a place for all of them to gather to discuss their needs, celebrate birthdays, hold weddings, and to have a place where they can all be together. Today we had to haul a 6 foot tall mound of red dirt about 10 feet to the left of where it originally was. That was quite the task. Then we had to carry cinder blocks down the street to a place where more bathrooms are being built. And then we carried fresh-made/ hand-made cement made from scratch, on our heads to another place in the colony that another bathroom is being built. So it was a long day, but so very rewarding.

I am starting to really connect with my family and my new housemother, Saraswarthy. She told me today how beautiful she thinks I am, and how much she loves it when I smile at her. She always invites me to sit next to her on her bed and she will play with my hair and tickle my back. Tonight she gave me a bracelet and tied it on my wrist, then gave me a bindi to put on my forehead. Resma crawled up on my lap in the meantime and fell asleep in my arms again. Earlier today she did the I love you sign with her hand and said "I love you Kimmy Auntie." I tucked Amirtham in for bed, and by tucked I mean gave her a kiss goodnight as she layed down on the cement ground. Priya has been at my hip since yesterday and I don't want her to ever leave it. There is something so sweet about her tender, quiet, and calm ways.

After play time I looked over and saw Ashok sitting by himself, which is so not like him. So I went over and sat by him and he didn't smile, which is also not like him at all. So I put my arm around him and asked what was wrong and he looked like he was about to break down into tears. I kept asking him what was wrong and he refused to speak. So in the meantime I sat there telling him all my favorite qualities about him, and that I am his friend forever even when I am in America, and that I wanted him to be happy. I asked if he needed anything and he just rested his head on my shoulder. Then I said "I can't read your mind, and you are making me sad, so can you please tell me whats wrong?" and he sits up, puts a smile on his face and busted up laughing. He was laughing so hard he could hardly get the sentence out..."I was just acting!" We were laughing so hard. Ashok played a joke on me, and he succeeded. It was hilariously priceless!

I am not going to post much more, I need to get some sleep so that I am rested and rejuvenated for what lies ahead tomorrow. I love it here. Each day passes by so quickly, yet each day is packed with so many happenings, emotions, and moments you never want to forget that by the end of the day you feel you have been awake for 4 days. I was just saying to my roomies that this morning feels like last week. Truly, it does, and yet time continues to tick right on by. Faster than I would like it to.

Today's high: Working Construction and being with the Kiddos
Today's low: Not feeling good in the afternoon and evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment