Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Surrender to the Playground

I couldn't have asked for a better way to start off my first work day than going with the Mobile Medical Unit into the colonies. I love the Medical Unit. I love meeting those in the colonies and seeing their faces light up as we greet them. This morning started off with a two hour orientation. We went over rules, and daily schedules, etc...and we also went around the room telling about how we each ended up at Rising Star. Each individual story had something to do along the lines of feeling compelled or drawn to this place and not really knowing why. I started to think about how Rising Star has grown. How it started with just one woman, then one woman and some friends in a small home, then to one woman, many friends, and volunteers at a bigger facility with their own land, then to what it is today and what the future has in store. I though about all of the volunteers that have cycled through here, leaving their foot prints in the sand and an imprint on the hearts of the people of Rising Star, both the children & those in the colonies. I thought about how many people have sacrificed and given so much to build this organization from the ground up, each contributing a brick to what Rising Star is to become. Then I thought about me, what my brick in the wall of Rising Star might be, what it is that I want to leave behind in the building and growing of Rising Star and the people of it.

On our way to the Walajabad colony today, Dr. Kumar was talking about Leprosy and what happens to those who have it. After speaking about the medical jargon, he told us about the difference that educating those with leprosy how to take care of themselves has made in their healing. But then he humbly stated, "No matter how hard I try, nothing I teach them will ever be of greater worth than what they teach me. " In the colony today it felt so wonderful to not be hesitant or uncomfortable. I just got out of the van and started walking down the colony greeting everyone I could with the Tamil hello "Vannakum!". I pumped water from the spigot to fill our buckets up to wash our dear friends feet in. I have had the opportunity to do this many of times, but the feeling I get each time I kneel at their feet and look up into their eyes and toothless smiles never fades away. Dr. Kumar shared his story with us on our way home. It is an inspiring story, he is a great man with a humble and loving heart who just wants to make a difference in this world. We are lucky to have him with us at Rising Star.

When we returned back home, break time was already over because we took a while in the colony. So, I didn't get the chance to take a break from the heat--it was straight to play time with the kids for me. I decided to push through and go play regardless of having no time to take a break. When we got to the playground the sun was shining directly on us and I was so hot and sweaty. I sat down on the side and considered going back. But after a few minutes, I just stood up and decided to surrender to the playground. Playtime is a magical hour and a half that takes place. To see so much laughter and smiling all around you it is impossible to not do so yourself. As I was in the middle of the playground I was suddenly thrown a little off balance as I felt little arms wrap around my legs and an adorable little face looking up at me saying "Auntie Kimmy, Auntie Kimmy!". It was Reyshema. Reyshema is a new UKG (kindergartner) here at RSO and she is also my new favorite. I picked her up and she grabbed my cheek and kissed it, kissed my other cheek, then kissed my forehead then just cuddled into my arms. It made everything about playtime even more worth it than usual.

At dinner time Dani shared this quote:
"Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar, and the beaten. And seeing them he cried, 'Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?' God said, 'I did do something. I made you.' " -Sufl Teaching

I loved this. We are all here to help each other. I believe these children, and these beautiful people of the colonies are here to help me. Through their greatest trial, these people have enriched my life and have taught me so much more than I could have ever learned by myself.

Today's high: Raymesha's kisses and being in the colonies with mobile medical.
Today's low: The day went by too fast.

3 comments:

  1. Kimmy my dear,
    As I get closer and closer to going to India, I find myself getting more and more nervous and forgetting why I wanted to do this in the first place. Reading about your experiences is such a comfort to me because I know what a wonderful organization RSO is and you make me excited to meet and love these people. Tell Raymesha "vannakum!" from me. I can't wait to meet her. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want you to know we are reading your words and are loving experiencing India second hand. Thanks. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimmy,
    It sounds like you are having an anmazing experience. Your words are beautiful and make it feel like we are there with you. Miss you lots.Hugs and Kisses.
    Love, Jaralynn, Sydney and Claire :)

    ReplyDelete